Friday, February 18, 2011

Six minute chocolate cake (without eggs)

Yes you read right and it is moist and delicious and eggless.  It is from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home.  And it is all mixed in the pan so no dirty bowl to lick I mean clean.  I was going to make Dave a pie for valentine's day because it is his favorite but I could not figure out when I could get it all together.  Then I came across this recipe.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water or brewed coffee (I used earl grey tea)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking pan.  In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix together oil, water or coffee, and vanilla.  Pour liquid into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork.  When batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly.  The baking soda and vinegar will start reacting right away making pale swirls.  Stir until vinegar is evenly distributed.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Cool.

The recipe has chocolate glaze which I didn't make.  1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, 3/4 cup hot water, milk or half and half, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.  You melt the chocolate, stir in the liquid and vanilla until smooth spoon over cake and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Here is a picture of Bodie trying to prove he has hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment