Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lack of routine a.k.a our weekend of chaos

The weekend started great.  My dear friends Paula (from Victoria) and Julie (from Yellowknife) came to town to spend the afternoon at my place, hangin' with Bodie and making food for my freezer.  As you can see both were accomplished. Expert child handling skills on both Julie and Paula's part allowed me to do laundry and shower and relax.

When Dave came home I was in a great mood and we had a fabulous dinner. 

THEN 8 hours later I wrote this:

It is the utter lack of a routine that kills me. After basically five weeks of getting up 2 times in the night at a frequency of every three to four hours, which gave me two or three hours of sleep, tonight Bodie fed at 8 was in bed at 9 and has been up for feedings at 10:30, 1:15 and now 3:30.

The largest part of my frustration comes from two sources: first I am a bit sore and the longer stretches in the night usually give me a physical break; second is that I had gone to all the effort (and slight added discomfort) of pumping so that Dave could do what hoped would be the second early morning feed round 4:30 or 5. This was to give me a long sleep to but here I am on feed 3 now at 3:58, with no more than one hour of sleep between the feeds.

THEN on Saturday Bodie continued to feed, or scream then feed every two hours.  With Dave at hockey from 1:30 to 5:30 a nice visit from Joanne, Torbin and Penney was not enough to counteract the lack of sleep.  By Dave's return I was a mess.  This video shows why:





Dave and I regrouped and thanks from some sage advice from Dave's sister, decided to label it a growth spurt and tag team what we thought would be another rough night.  Needless to say Bodie slept until 2 and then until 5.  When I tucked him in after the 2 oclock feeding I reported to Dave that I was full of such conditional love for our child I thought I would burst.

No comments:

Post a Comment